March 21, 2011

Our Journey To LXH

I really think Satan hates adoption more than almost anything.  When I started this blog back in October, it was really meant to show more progress than this.  Obviously, the fear factor got to me.  Since making that small step, wave after wave of attack has hit our family- issues with health, jobs, our extended families, discouragement.  I was especially discouraged because I had really hoped to reach out to people for help and support in our journey to our son, and I felt like it fizzled.  I couldn't carve out time to write and (probably because of the lack of posts) only 2 dear sweet people even followed my blog.  My first posts failed to convey the passion our family feels for bringing this little boy into our family.  I was ready to give up.  The economy, the number of other people who were trying to fundraise for other things in my local circle...  we let hopelessness hit hard.  Oh me of little faith!

However, God hasn't given up on this special little boy LXH (I don't feel I can give his name as we are not yet officially matched).  HE has been relentless at continuing to prod my heart.  Songs on the radio, sermons at church, an adorable little Asian boy of the exact same age right beside us at a restaurant, constant prodding in my mind and heart.  Dave Ramsey of Financial Peace University jokes about God having the occasional"dumb kid" who just doesn't get the writing on the wall.  I'm pretty sure I'm that kid!

Since October, several things have happened.  First, our little boy was sent back to the shared list from the agency that was allowed to feature him... so if we don't pursue God's leading to this little boy, his chances for a family are slim. Second, God impressed on me the story of Gideon (check out Judges 6-8 for the whole story).  He shows up with about 30,000 troops to battle for Israel, and God tells him that's too many for it to be obvious that it was God's triumph, not Gideon's.  God tells him to send home any who are afraid and 22,000 leave.  God further winnows the number down to 300 men to fight an army of well over 100,000!  Clearly those are God's numbers!  And I've clearly felt God telling me that He reminded me of this small Old Testament story to show me that if He can do this, He can clear my mountains (money for the adoption, another bedroom, qualifying for Ch*na) just as easily.  This story has given me enough hope that we are thinking about Gideon for our son's middle name!

Most importantly, I recently "met" a very special person online (I feel like I know her after reading all of her amazing posts and sharing with her in God's faithfulness in her life).  I met Linny of A Place Called Simplicity.  Linny is an incredible servant of God and has a huge heart for the orphan.  She has offered the opportunity to link to her well followed blog to help families trying to bring home children.  Please check her out!  http://aplacecalledsimplicity.blogspot.com/


Linny asked that if we linked, that we describe who we are bringing home and what our needs are.  My hubby and I are nearly paralyzed by asking for help, so this is hard!  But this little boy is a precious treasure of Jesus, so I am willing to feel a little uncomfortable.  We are trying to bring home LXH.  He just spent his 8th birthday in an orphanage, without a family to celebrate his life.  He is CL/CP.  He is described as being stubborn and bossy (ok, that's why God wants him here!  He'll fit perfectly!!!), intelligent, and it was mentioned (the part that breaks my heart) that he wants a family of his own and his own dog someday (I have raised and trained dogs since I was a kid, so this really touches my heart).  You can see from his pictures, he is clearly a shining soul!  We want him to join our family- a mom and dad, an amazing 12 year old big sister who was adopted domestically 3 years ago (and who faithfully prays every night for God to bring her little brother home... she has a lot more faith than we adults), and four kid loving dogs who have already shown their skills in helping an older child bond with a new loving family.  Having recently seen the quote that "when you don't know what to do, take the first small step",  we have applied for passports, started the child abuse checks (4-5 months backlogged in our state), and are talking with an adoption agency we want to use this time.  Since the last adoption was domestic, we are starting over from scratch.  From here, we need to start coming up with funds.

Would you please help us? 

1)  More than anything, please join us in prayer:  that God would hold back the attacks that keep discouraging us and that He would miraculously move our mountains.  Also, my state is attacking my teacher's salary.  We probably won't qualify financially if my salary goes down.

2)  We need a second bedroom since this is a boy.  We have an attic that can be converted easily, but we currently lack the time and funds.

3)  We have some savings, but certainly nowhere near the upfront amount needed.  If you feel moved to help us financially, we will be eternally grateful, and the results will be eternal!

4)  Please follow and keep checking back on our blog.  I am an artist (and art teacher) and I've really been feeling that God is telling me I need to use my art talent to help bring our son home.  I would like to offer small ceramic dogs (original sculptures) to those willing to donate $50 or more, and offer other original pieces of art in fundraising giveaways. If you have other great ideas, feel free to include them in the comments!  I'll include a photo of one of my sculptures and maybe you can let me know if the idea of receiving a small piece of art for a certain donation amount is worth it or not!  I liked the dog idea since we love dogs and our little boy wants a dog of his own.  God's changed many things in my life using dogs!!!

Colt and Banshee are ready for a new "brother"


A piece of my artwork... would you be willing to donate to receive an original clay sculpture?

Thank you all so much for supporting us in this adventure!!!
A HUGE thank you to Linny for this opportunity!

1 comment:

  1. oh, my goodness! This sentence resonates with me: "God tells him that's too many for it to be obvious that it was God's triumph, not Gideon's."

    I can't sell enough candles, can't sell enough coffee, can't make enough working extra jobs . . . can't seem to get enough people interested in helping us.


    I knew the story of Gideon, but had never framed it this way in my mind! It's almost exactly to the letter what God has been telling me!

    "I've got this," He says.

    ReplyDelete